header

header

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Weekend round up - Day 12

It's been a really emotionally, all over the place, weekend. This moving city business has finally sunk in and well it's had big ups and downs on my little feelings box.

Friday night was the first night I felt truly alone. It's hard not having my normal routine of phoning my friends and catching up over a bottle of vino. It's also hard putting in a lot of effort to make new friends. Let's just say I lasted a whole hour in one of my favourite venues and decidedly put down my wine and drove home. Thankfully my pity party came to the rescue and invited me to hangout with a familiar face. Thank you.

My last thought before bed - I just want it to be tomorrow so I can start again.

Then Saturday happened, and along with it some BIG smiles. I explored (almost) every hip inch of Johannesburg, sifting through Neighbourgoods Market, Maboneng Precinct, Mellville and some other secondhand shop gemburbs (my word for a suburb full of little gems). And to put the cherry op top an invite to the best view of the city, an SABC broadcast at the crown of the Lister Building. I mean, like seriously? Durbs, I love you but Johannesburg's culture is on a completely different and seriously cool level.

My last thought before bed - I may just be able to do this.

Onwards today, Sunday to an early rise. My DIY day. I woke up last night to the sounds of 3am. Quiet, but my head was swimming in to do lists, hopes, frustrations and back to that feeling of, alone. Then somewhere in my Newsfeed a little glimmer of hope flashed in front of my eyes. A new app! Telmap. One of my frustrations was not knowing where my closest conveniences lay, Jozi is big. When someone here says that something is close, it's not Durban close as in a hop skip and a stroll away. You gotta drive, and like navigate your little heart out in hope that, that tall building will stay in front of you, it never does.
Anyways, back to the app, it takes your current location and lets you punch in what you are looking for, easy peezy pie. Nearest Builders Express? Oh only 1,3kms away! Winning!
One of my biggest rules of moving to a new city (to be expanded in another post) is to know where your nearest Builders Express is, amongst other need to knows that get you by. This little app, what a beaut and so easy to navigate! Download it now! Seriously, now.

So as my morning commenced to a much warmer highveld day, I gathered my walkabout friend at the corner and strolled through my suburb enroute to a gloriously huge park that overlooked the south side of the city. We chatted away and after much exhalation of worry, I was ready to tackle hardware heaven.

Hardware heaven, I mean isn't there anything more awesome? Pantone, paints, piles of wood, and creativity! There is so much to say about DIY and what the feeling of walking around a builders paradise does to me. My mind literally goes into Pinterest overdrive.
I gathered my goods and set off home, sans GPS and made it all the way back like a pro. If it wasn't for my out of towner number plate I could've been one of you Jolsburgers! Believe that.

Upon home arrival, Flattie (my flat mate) and her bf were cooking up a storm for Sunday lunch. Now when I say this Daily Dears, that I haven't experienced a normal Sunday afternoon food frenzy such as this, I mean it. Like it was the most natural habit in the universe to be DIYing, chatting away and nibbling on, erase that - sitting down at the table having grown up conversations, eating grown up food in our soon to be uber stylish flat. It fills my heart with joy.

Right now, my last thought before bed - This is called home.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...