header

header

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Behind the Scenes - Durban July - Day 6

It's race day in Durban. Which basically means fashion, fun and a whole lot of behind the scenes craziness that you dear race goer's will never have to see. 

8am: An early rise as I head down to the course which is already MANIC. Last minute preps to tents, makeup and hair galore for the dancers, promo babes and of course, just to make every ones life more difficult, me. 

Today I am in control of getting the launch of our new brand to trend on Twitter. Fabulous I know. Our tent is incredible and you have never seen so many glam'd up souls. And my favourite part - Carl Issacs, the most incredibly talented stylist in SA that I have now dubbed, my bestie. 

It's fascinating watching the public swoosh in and out of the tent leaving even more gorgeous than when they flitted in. Outfits, golly there was a time back in the day that I dressed to the nines to attend this event, got horribly drunk and most likely had something stolen. But today I get to enjoy the process that is put in place for the pretty people to enjoy. My new reality of Durban July madness. 

Excuse me as I jump from one thing to another here but I am updating as I search, retweet, hashtag and mention as quickly as my little fingers can go. As well as eagerly trying to capture the process of  this event manage-madness-ment. 

12pm: Right now I am sitting behind the scenes at my makeshift desk on a ground cover that wobbles like the seven seas. In front of me the dancers are rehearsing their routine and oh so gaily, giggle slapping each other as they try make out the running order of the day. Behind me two makeup artists are bitching about clients 'needs and wants', no doubt high on a substance that allows them to get through this 12 hour day. And next to me, well, an entire fish bowl full of Ferrero Rocher's that will need to go out to the pubic, eventually. I have already had about 12. 

2pm: I am exhausted. It's been a long day already and the main event is only just getting started. To add salt to the wounds, the network has just gone down to any hope of getting ANYTHING to trend is a lost cause. Plus I think I have just reached the height of my chocolate induced hyper-activeness, leaving me feeling ravenous. The lunch still hasn't arrived and I can see the dancers starting to wilt. 4 more hours to go. 

2.25pm: La la la.. Hello network, where art thou?

2.31pm: Just had a good giggle at the MC - lisping for days. 

4:00pm: After actually wanting to lose my shit, I decided to take matters into my own hands and snuck into the next-door tent. I raided their buffet and took two tequila's for the team. Amazing what a 'Crew' armband can let you get away with. 

Footnote: To all the Durban July goers - I hope you are drunk out of your minds, won a ton of cash and enjoyed every bloody minute of it. Hell you all have no idea what it takes to pull off an event of this magnitude. To the Help, I salute you!


Good night. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...