header

header

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Hi Joburg! - Day 10

Today has been great day. 

I am lying in my bed after a good few glasses of Wolftrap (Ps. Chere! She has such good taste!) and can quite happily say that my flat mate is a brunette extension of me. 

But let's rewind. 

This morning when I left my trusty old comfort zone for the last time, I had no expectations of the day ahead. The sky was grey and the roads were quiet but that didn't dampen the comedy show that trailed me well into the Freestate. My friends, my darling friends and our new found fun for video messaging. I don't know what I would have done without your retarded on screen skills. Between the giggles and hourly updates, you kept my spirits high on that lonely drive. And when the signal dropped, well, I dropped a few ballads into the sing along box. Oh girl, my high notes are high! 

It's one thing taking a drive into an unchartered adventure but another when the journey has a full stop to a new life. A permeant new life. And somehow it never did quite kick in until I rose over that last hill and saw my future ahead of me. Glistening, steel structures beaconing me with a sun ray wink. Once a quiet road into the known became a hustle of 'get tos' and freeways vaaing left and swinging right. My composed nature turned into a million runaway thoughts. My palms grew sweaty and I was convinced that my GPS was trying to get me lost ( and if it wasn't for an advising word) it would have completely skrewed me over. But then I found familiarity and settled into the notion of, I am here. I am finally here. 

How does one explain that moment of meeting someone for the first time? I sat waiting for her to arrive home from work for what felt like an hour. Replaying conversations I once had to previous first encounters, that sealed the deal. But this wasn't some first date floozie or job interview, this was my new flat mate. I needed to me, a better version of me. Was my outfit trendy enough, or was I too over dressed? I want her to think I am relaxed, but not lazy, sophisticated but not snobby.

She walks in. 

Hi Joburg, let's be friends. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...